Re: eventual incorporation of push and hint cache into Squid-HEAD?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:19:48 +0100

Jon Kay wrote:

> I would like to discuss the desirability of incorporating push into
> the main branch once it is reasonably stable.

If reasonably stable, isolated, solves some problem, not bound by any
licensing/patent issues etc, then I am open for discussing a merge. The
main point of collecting developments onto devel.squid-cache.org is to
let them mature into a state that makes merging possible. Secondary goal
is to not loose track of developments.

If not isolated, then it must be tested to be stable and to not cause
any measureable negative impact for people not needing the added
features.

> The hint cache basically amounts to a distributed metadata system for
> cached objects.

Sounds very interesting. Will try to read up on the referenced
information.

> Disadvantages up front: push and hint caching are big, weighing in at
> over 8,000 lines spread over eleven files. An operational hint cache
> consumes 80-160M of disk space for Cache-Digest-like stuff.

Key question: What is the impact for people not needing push and/or hint
caching?