Re: how hint caching works

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:34:47 +0200

On 21 Nov 2001, at 7:32, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> Jon Kay wrote:
>
> > Unlike cache digests, hints have a notion of version through
> > last-modified time, and always go for the most recent known version.
> > They also have some other handy metadata.
>
> How much metadata is involved?
> * Data sent over the networking
> * Disk space
> * Memory requirement

 Same worries here. It seems that all caches in the cloud have copy of
 metadata of every other cache. This metadata is main memory consumer
 already for single cache. What impact does pushcache add to that memory
 usage?
 It seems to me that it would be more memory efficient to use single
 central "hint-cache" that does nothing else but centralises hint data
 and provides it to every box in cloud via some ICP-like protocol.
 Have you considered such approach?

 Otherwise its interesting.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online