Re: [squid-users] Ramdisks

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:19:53 +0200

On 23 Nov 2001, at 10:44, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> wrote:

> On Friday 23 November 2001 10.30, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
> > Will read. Having only read journalling filesystem research (and
> > assuming log ~= journal) I wasn't aware this type of FS was well
> > researched (I know about the similar object store in INND, but haven't
> > studied it in detail either).
>
> There has been quite a bit of research, but there is a lot more to research.
> For example, very little attention has been given how to manage meta data in
> a log structure. Most of the research has been based on a traditional FS and
> then convert it to use a log structure as storage.

 Guys, if you haven't seen it, check out NetApp's filesystem WAFL. Very
 nontraditional and has some interesting ideas. educating.
   http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3002.html

> > I'll drop the idea of picky writes, if and when COSS can give us
> > practically free writes. ;-) As it is now, write bandwidth is a
> > primary cause of the upper bound on Squids performance.
>
> Exactly.

 so, lets beat the coss into 2.5 ;)
 meanwhile, I personally wouldn't mind if picky writes was possible to
 be turned on.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725