Re: [squid-users] Ramdisks

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:45:14 +0200

On 23 Nov 2001, at 18:31, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
>
> > Guys, if you haven't seen it, check out NetApp's filesystem WAFL. Very
> > nontraditional and has some interesting ideas. educating.
> > http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3002.html
>
> Have read it.. interesting but not revolutionary.

 Maybe to you guys. To me it seemed pretty radical when I met it first.
 But I actually quoted it in regards to some of your previous comments.
 It manages metadata, it doesn't require fixed predefined structure of
 FS layout, it gives you freedom to write the stuff the way you like,
 either in chunks or filling the gaps, or at current head position, it
 scales well to stripes and RAID5 disks, it has fast checkpointing and
 thus fast recovery after a crash, allows resizing the FS on the fly.
 It is very write-optimised FS, for both small and large objects. In
 many ways it seems like perfect FS for squid.
 There are lots of bits there to make it failsafe for NFS which squid
 wouldn't need, like NVRAM caching, or ability to restore prev versions
 of files.
 There are few key ideas that could provide source of inspiration
 when designing your own cyclic store for squid. Not to be ignored.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,