MAXFD frustrations

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:06:52 -0700 (MST)

I'm running some tests on a linux box and had some trouble getting
squid to use more than 1024 descriptors. In src/squid.h we have:

        /* Cannot increase FD_SETSIZE on Linux */
        #if defined(_SQUID_LINUX_)
        #undef CHANGE_FD_SETSIZE
        #define CHANGE_FD_SETSIZE 0
        #endif

Is this still true for modern Linux versions?

Also in src/main.c we have:

    if (FD_SETSIZE < Squid_MaxFD)
        Squid_MaxFD = FD_SETSIZE;

Seems to me that we can relax these restrictions if Squid uses
poll() instead of select(), no? Way back when, the whole
reason for all these checks were to make sure that Squid didn't
exceed some array bounds in select code. I don't think poll
has that problem though...