Re: [bug] in snmp agent

From: Jean-Francois Dive <jef@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:14:13 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

Well, i have to say that to use the feature, i dont see how to avoid
browsing the index on a regular basis to catch the news client's ip
addresses and so add/discover new accounting sources.

Another point we have in mind is the following: like you say, browsing the
table is a long taks, CPU intensive and this occure on a regular basis. At
the end, we would like to account base on non-hit - bytes from a subnet.
So, there are 2 possibilities: aggregate the information on the
application side or on the agent side. I believe it would be usefull to
have this in the agent, to avoid unnecessary management traffic (that will
be quite big on large installation bases). So, what about adding a field
to the table: a netmask and be able to configure networks/mask and have X
new entries with those network/masks ?

For this bug resolution, adding a table (only the indexes) is defintively
a solution and would bring the possibility to add those networks/mask. The
values would be computed only when retrieved, this with a maximum of once
a minute or so.

I'll wait news from you,

Thanks,

Regards,