Re: maximum_object_size

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:03:11 -0600

> > Yes, but this doesn't solve that problem, it just muddles it. If somebody
> > has a 2MB cache, this doesn't help. If somebody has a 2GB cache (pretty
> > darned likely, actually), this doesn't help.
>
> If someone has an cache in the range 50MB to 3GB it solves the problem.

I'm missing something here. How does limiting max objsize to less than
a tenth of a percent of cache size HELP ?!?!

If I had a 3G cache, and my users are doing anything even slightly big...
4M is pretty much a tiny limit for cable/DSL users.

> > Yes, it is. But like all 'max size' parameters, it has the problem
> > of needing constant adjustment upward. 4MB was an appropriate amount
> > four years ago. 400 MB would be a more appropriate number now, IMHO.
> > Can we at least default it to not actively limiting anything?
>
> If you feel happy with Squid swaping out 2GB objects to disk irregarless of
> how large their cache actually is and then crashing because the disk got full
> then so be it, but I don't see that as an option.

We have that problem already, if people run 1MB configuration test caches.
That's probably at least as common as the actual object bigger than disk
space.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025