Re: Commloops - Test report

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:42:59 +0100

Hi Adrian,

Il 03.32 18/01/2002 Adrian Chadd ha scritto:
>On Thu, Jan 17, 2002, Guido Serassio wrote:
> > >I just use datacomm - there's three things to change - the request rate,
> > >the local robot IPs and the remote server IPs. I'd be interested in
> > >some of the other workloads though - polymix-3 and polymix-4 trial
> > >runs - to see if their more realistic workloads help out.
> > >

> > OK, I have tested that I can run fine the test.
> > But I have just discovered a problem with the NIC driver on my Alpha Linux
> > box when
> > the network is heavy loaded, so I think that I can send You a
> significative
> > results at the end of the week end.
> >
> > Can You recommend me some Squid memory counter to monitor ?
>
>Ok, do this.
>
>Setup a cache with a small (say 100mb) store dir. Then, run commloops
>and general browsing over the thing, filling the cache. Once the cache
>is filled and has been replaced for a while, note the memory usage.
>Just the Memory Pools information screen in cachemgr will do.
>Then, start running commloops again, and watch the memory usage.
>It should go up due to the concurrent connections going through the
>thing, but when you _stop_ the test the memory should all be back to
>(reasonably) the original.
>
>You're just looking for mempools that keep growing, regardless of what
>you've setup. You shouldn't have them.

May be that I get them .....

After Squid startup:

# obj allocated: 31743
KB allocated: 1453
high KB allocated: 1453
# obj in use: 31706
KB in use: 1436
high KB in use: 1446

After 1 minute of Polygraph:

# obj allocated: 40124
KB allocated: 5867
high KB allocated: 5867
# obj in use: 39026
KB in use: 5264
high KB in use: 5720

After stop of Polygraph:

# obj allocated: 40223
KB allocated: 5997
high KB allocated: 5997
# obj in use: 35109
KB in use: 2827
high KB in use: 5720

After 30 minutes of normal Squid run:

# obj allocated: 40344
KB allocated: 6002
high KB allocated: 6002
# obj in use: 36138
KB in use: 3046
high KB in use: 5720

Your opinion ?

Regards

Guido

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it