Re: NTLM, Windows and the sessionkey field

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:04:48 +0100

On Sunday 24 February 2002 04:47, Robert Collins wrote:

> I don't recall offhand. I'll get back to you later on this.

I have found the NTLMSSP source docs in samba-tng

The flags received from my W98 browser:

00008206

#define NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_OEM 0x00000002
#define NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET 0x00000004
#define NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM 0x00000200
#define NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN 0x00008000

One thing I am pretty sure of now. From looking over the flags it is
very apparent that the helper do indeed need the negotiate packet in
order to generate a correct challenge. If the helper do not know the
capabilities of the client then it can only guess "randomly" which is
no good.

The TNG sources says that "sessionkey" is NULL if not negotiated. But
my experience here is that it does not exists at all.

One of the bits set in the challenge by fakeauth isn't documented in
TNG: 0x00018206
0x00010000 == ????