Re: commloops cache digest code works

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:44:51 -0600

Joe Cooper wrote:

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2002, Joe Cooper wrote:
> >

> >> Downloading commloops branch now...Will try to get a couple of 4
> >> hour runs in over the next couple days and maybe a long Polymix
> >> run.
> >>
> >> Got any configuration tips, requirements, requests, whatever? If
> >> not I'll just pop it into a 2.5 SRPM, build, install and run.
> >>

> > Nup - looks and feels like a normal squid at the moment. Its just been
> > rearranged a little on the insides.
>
> Ok, I'm benching now at a pretty good clip (100 req/sec from an old box
> that always peaked at 100-110 with the 2.2STABLE5+hno Squid--only
> running with 1 disk instead of two, but we've got a lot more RAM in the
> box these days, so it might even out). Just wanting to give it a
> banging-on to make sure it holds up. I'm also browsing with no apparent
> problems, and my browsing is not notably slowed by the benchmark run
> going on--good signs.
>
> Anyway, we're half an hour into a four hour sprint. So far, so good
> (hits are fine too, at this point).

2.5 hours+ at 100. No problems, no serious complaints. Hits drop off
for a few seconds every once in a while, response times jump a lot (from
1.5 secs to ~3 secs--not like minutes or anything) every once in a
while, but overall very very solid. And it's probably measurably faster
than even 2.2STABLE5+hno. I'll have to run it on a box for which I have
some specific benchmark data, but I don't think I've seen a single disk
450MHz box (with a bunch of crap running on it) maintain 100reqs/sec for
over two hours with no hit rate degradation or horrible response times.
  I think you've got a winner, Adrian. CPU usage might be lower also,
it seems like it is, in general--I'll have to try it with two disks to
see what happens (I've never been able to push a box hard enough with a
single disk to saturate the CPU, so I don't really know yet).

I'll keep using it as my local proxy for the time being, watching for
any smelly bits. I'm off to sleep for a few hours, but when I wake I'll
fire up another run at a higher rate with two disks for Squid.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com