Re: squid-2.4 and macs?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:26:07 +0100

On Saturday 09 March 2002 14:04, Robert Collins wrote:

> I think we all know that squid cannot currently play with content
> encoding.. but I can imagine header sanitization attempts royally
> interfering. It would be nice if we could log when a header filter
> will cause a [possible] HTTP violation.

Squid can deal with content encoding in HTTP just fine. It does not
have to and should not care about it. To Squid it is just another
form of variance, and should be indicated by the origin server via
the Vary header when it matters. The only case where Squid does not
correctly deal with content-encoding is in it's gateways (ftp,
gopher).

transfer encoding is a different matter, but as we are not yet a
HTTP/1.1 proxy it is not that much of a deal.

What Squid can possibly do about content-encoding is to optimize
entity-body variant selections depending on what content-encodings
are known in the cache and the clients request, but this is a risky
business and is better left to the authoriative origin server, and
absolutely requires proper ETag support or it would quickly fall
apart.