Re: benchmarking squid on solaris/x86

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:04:11 +0100

On Thursday 21 March 2002 00:51, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Linux seems to suffer from the "NIH" syndrome. Ie, if its not
> invented or implemented here, we don't like it.

So does most of this world..

> Search the linux-kernel list archives for the discussions
> about /dev/poll and kqueue, and see what people have to say.
> Whether its the "best" or not really isn't relevant - its
> a step in the right direction. A very big step. :)

Both methods are about the same step with slightly different approach
and different drawbacks. Also, /dev/poll is the natural evolution of
poll, RT signals are "cool" but somewhat messy to deal with.

Neither are the best way to solve the problem. A correct solution
requires a far more radical approach on I/O in general and some
improvements in memory management.