Re: (Fwd) Re: includes inside squid.conf

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:50:45 +0300

On 2 Apr 2002, at 21:47, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 April 2002 19:48, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
>
> > because one needs to 1) get some pre-processor (compile it),
> > 2) learn it 3) split existing config into templates that comply
> > with pre-proc, and then overwrite actual config from templates,
> > and when looking for where the hell those final config statements
> > originate from, search for latest template versions and compare
> > with final config. There is no pointer to originating file in the
> > actual config. 4) remember to use the bloody pre-processor to
> > regenerate the config, 5) remember to update the templates and
> > not the final config. I just don't like it. I want some simple,
> > out-of-box ability. I'd intentionally limit myself to only what
> > out-of-box functionality provides. To keep it simple.
>
> And is why for the second part of 3, 4 and 5 my proposal of hooking a
> pre-processor into Squid is somewhat reasonable, as the running
> configuration is then never stored on disk..
>
> squid -f squid.m4 --preprocessor=m4

 Yeah, that may be even cute.
 What about preprocessor directive clashes with squid tags? future?
 Implementing this is way more complex than simple includes.
 Is this standard enough to implement? Is it doable on Windows?
 How to handle pre-processor errors?
 Upon reconfigure, fork external preprocessor again? configd?
 Integrate m4 into squid?

 Looks like more problems to solve arise than it solves. For simple
 includes definitely not worth effort. For very fancy scripting not
 very suitable to run under squid. Leaves 3,4,5 the same.

> As for the first part of 3, I don't see the relevance. The config
> needs to be split what ever method you select, and it is not likely
> we can do suitable splits.

 My emphasis was more on pre-proc specific syntax, not just fact
 of a split. One more man page to be familiar with.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,