RE: (Fwd) Re: includes inside squid.conf

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:40:43 +1000

Except for the OS with majority market share. It doesn't have an
efficient fork().

> > Why would a child receive a signal? (Other than sigsegv or
> something
> > similar, which will make anything crash and burn).
>
> Who knows..

In which case we should be willing to at least try.

> > > d) There is no directly clean way to handle a failed
> execve() when
> > > vfork() is used.
> >
> > What about the return code from _exit() ? That's then seen by the
> > parent in the wait() call.
>
> except for the small detail of errno and possibly other shared data
> touched by execve() when it fails. Because of this the situation in
> the parent is slightly undefined upon a failed execve in the child.
> In a normal "plain" application this is usually safe, but if the
> application compiled with threading enabled (such as Squid often is)
> then errno is not always safe to update in a vfork()..

Most C libraries have thread-specific errno these days, and if they
don't have that but do have kernel threading... there is a real
non-squid problem, because most C calls that set errno are not
syncronised.

errno being touched by execve is IMO explicitly allowed by the vfork
description, as execve is an allowed call.

Rob