A question about "clientProcessExpired" function.

From: <maer727@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:03:39 +0800 (CST)

Hi, pals

Look at my trouble.

In file "client_side.c", line 342, (Squid 2.4 STABLE), there is a functions named "clientProcessExpired". I have two questions about it.

1. After reading for several times, I can not find the goal the function "clientProcessExpired". What is it used for?

2. In file "client_side.c", line 355, there are such statements,
    if (clientOnlyIfCached(http)) {
        clientProcessOnlyIfCachedMiss(http);
        return;
    }

I think the "clientOnlyIfCached" is used to check whether an object coule be taken from cache. "clientProcessOnlyIfCachedMiss" is used to return an error when the specific object is not in cache.
But I think the above four lines of the statements do not conform the following comments.

The comments are,
    /*
     * check if we are allowed to contact other servers
     * @?@: Instead of a 504 (Gateway Timeout) reply, we may want to return
     * a stale entry *if* it matches client requirements
     */

Can anyone help me?

Best regards,
George, Ma