Re: what means Bake-off?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:20:14 -0500

Because they are not traces of 'internet' activity. They are the result
of benchmark run that uses entirely artificial URLs. Every run is
different, and every run is generated on the fly by the polygraph server
and client. They aren't useful for your purposes because you requested
a list of URLs that you could run through your Squid to test hit ratios.
  The URLs generated during a Polygraph run do not resolve to a real
internet host--none of them exist on the internet.

Get Polygraph (it's free). Read the docs for it. Try it. You'll then
understand what I'm talking about.

What I'm getting at is that polygraph will be extremely useful for you.
  There is no better cache benchmarking tool. /But/ the logs it
generates are only useful for creating benchmark result reports--not for
simulating a Polygraph benchmark run using a different utility. If you
want to reproduce a cache-off style benchmark, you've got to use
Polygraph. Logs from the cache-offs are useless unless you want to
analyze the results of servers that took part in the cache-offs--they
are not useful for reproducing the same conditions.