Re: What to know detail about why Squid use single process.

From: David Luyer <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 01:48:20 +1000

Has anyone investigated extending the squid model to use
multiple threads, without a complete redesign?

One approach which occurred to me was to have some kind of
"eventAddImmediate", and have commselect/commpoll call that
when they find an fd is ready, and then have some 'worker
threads' which pick up pending events. Basically one 'master'
thread and a number of 'worker' threads.

It would mean making some parts of the code more thread-safe,
however on a 4+ CPU machine I'd expect a speedup. On less
than that, diskd, the kernel, etc should be efficiently using
the resources already.

David.