User Authentiction

From: Joey Coco <anesthes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:06:22 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Squid's authentication API works fairly well.

It appears (of course, if I havn't neglected to research
appropriately) that you have only two options:

1) Everyone gets prompted for authentication when accessing the cache.
-or-
2) Noone does.

What I'd like to do, is set it up so genericly noone (regardless of IP
network) is prompted for authentication, however, if one wishes to "log
in" they can clink on a link, or in some other way trigger the
authentication routines.

You're prolly wondering, "now what would this be usefull for?" To later on
in Squid life have levels of access based on "Authenticated users", and
"Non-authenticated users".

Anyone have any idea how to go about doing this? Is there a safe way to
call this routine only for some users? I've played, and mostly caused
segfaults. Most of Squid's code makes perfect sense to me, but I'm a
little weirded out by this one.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc, would be nice!

-- Joe