Re: ENTRY_SPECIAL => content pinning?

From: Yee Man Chan <ymc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:29:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Joe

--- Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com> wrote:
> Hi Yee Man,
>
> I was looking at this myself. I think you've missed
> the store_swapout.c
> reference to ENTRY_SPECIAL...if you made this the
> entry type for pinned
> objects they would never get to disk.

You are right that these ENTRY_SPECIAL objects are not
SwapOutAble. I ran through gdb and see that MIME
images are loaded to the store_table in mimeInit with
ENTRY_SPECIAL. So do they always stay in memory and
never get swapped out?

> I think adding a new type "ENTRY_PINNED" that
> behaves sort of like
> ENTRY_SPECIAL, without the swapout limitation might
> be more intuitive
> and self-explanatory for folks reading the code.
>
> My thoughts have run to implementation details:
> Should pinning use ACLs
> or a pattern like 'refresh_pattern'?

Maybe refresh_pattern because I think people only want
to pin an object for a period of time instead of
forever. So something resembles an expiration
mechanism
should be appropriate.

Yee Man