Re: Storage Interface for squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:06:19 +0200

Actually Squid is using an integer assigned by the storage layer to identify
the object.. (currently 24 bits in size).

for the "ufs" type of storage layers (ufs, diskd, aufs) this integer is
directly mapped to files in directories. File number 0 is 00/00/00000000, 1
is 00/00/00000001 etc..

for the "coss" storage layer, it is mapped to a block offset within the coss
area (one large file).

and a number of other possibilities are possible, basically up to the storage
layer how it uses this integer.

See the programmers guide on what is required to write a storage layer for
Squid.

Which cache_dir to use for a given file is assigned based on a combination of
the amount of free space reported by the storage layer and round-robin.