Re: [squid-users] squid 2.6-rproxy: assertion store_client.c:211: "sc->cmp_offset == copy_offset"

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:54:13 +0200

On Saturday 15 June 2002 03:45, Jeff Wheelhouse wrote:

> Would it be possible to create a new tag? I'm not sure of the
> right name: maybe "rproxy-beta" or "rproxy-stable".. something that
> is designed to represent a version of the rproxy patch that is
> intended to be more compilable/runnable than the main version which
> obviously needs to stay close to HEAD even at the cost of being
> occasionally broken. Then, the beta tag could updated to follow
> the main rproxy changes once they are integrated. I think it might
> get more people to try it and help find bugs.

Tested stable and supported versions of the rproxy patch is available
from MARA Systems AB to paying customers.

What is provided on devel.squid-cache.org is the developer version for
people who are not afraid of digging around a bit in the code and
help improving the patch or Squid in general.

Sure, early adopters might be bitten a bit by bugs caused by changes
to HEAD, and at times (such as the last months) functionality of
development version of the patch or even the HEAD version of Squid
may even be broken, but that is life. This decision is intentional to
ensure a good progress of the development without forking.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I strongly suspect that if there was a
stable version of the patch easily provided for free you would not
have spent any time on trying to help making the development version
work? And also been very disappointed if later finding that you
cannot upgrade to a later version of Squid just because nobody has
bothered upgrading the patches you need.