Re: squid 2.6-rproxy: cbdata & READ_AHEAD_GAP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:58:45 +0200

On Thursday 20 June 2002 23.45, Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse wrote:

> Also, for better or worse, I've attached the rproxy-based patch to
> turn #define READ_AHEAD_GAP into squid.conf-based read_ahead_gap.
> As provided, this patch shouldn't change functionality at all
> unless read_ahead_gap is set to a non-default setting.

Great. I'll add this to HEAD. Does not really belong in rproxy, and
creating a new branch for such a small non-intrusive change is a bit
overkill..

> As previously stated, I can't speak intelligently about the value
> of changing the read_ahead_gap. I know only that it helps my
> situation and may be of use in managing memory for others. I don't
> intend this in lieu of finding the actual problem that causes hangs
> with certain values in my environment, only as a band-aid until I
> know enough to do that.

The hangs is not a reason for using this patch, but the ability to act
as a better reverse-proxy in front of resource intensive web servers
is a good enough reason for the feature.

> If you want it, you're welcome to it. If you don't want it, it'll
> live happily ever after in my local repository and never bother you
> again. :)

It would be great if some time could be spent on trying to identify
what is the real cause to your problems..