Subscribe & Introduction

From: <observer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

So subscribe, i was asked to send an introduction to myself to this
dev list.

Hello.
    I'm a programmer for an global telecom equipment manufacturer. My
main role there is network management software, currently specific to
wireless networks (i.e. cell phones, not 802.11).

In a prevous role at the same company, I hacked Squid to do some
pre-caching of data, as part of a software demo for a Layer-7 switch.
Using (overloading) cache manager interface, I would pass in a list of
URLs that Squid should cache, ahead of user demand. Our goal was to produce
a demo that would allow a company like disney or WB or lucas to push large
media files out to the caches before userse swamped their sites looking
for movie trailers (that's just an example, and does not represent our
actual customers). It was combined with a separate spidering program that
could automatically find documents that should be moved to the caches.

The demo sort of worked, but the project was cancelled, many lives lost,
and other badness.... =:]

To start with contributing to Squid (had our project continued, i would have
released the changes, but they remain incomplete), i would be interested
in starting with updating the programmers guide and bug fixes, that sort of
non-feature related work, and later move into the wish list features, etc.

thanks,
-r.
Richard

observer@IntelligentSand.com