Re: doctype declaration for generated html code

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:24:45 +0200

PsychoTekk .de wrote:
> hi,
> i think it would be useful to include a <u>doctype</u> declaration
> in the html pages generated by squid (the error documents and
> the cachemanager).

Perhaps.

Adding doctype to the error pages is well.. no more than adding it to the
error pages..

Adding doctype to the generated HTML pages such as FTP/Gopher directory
listings needs patching of the source.

Patches to both the error messages and src/ftp.c and src/gopher.c are welcome.

> Furthermore it would be useful to define a </u>charset</u> (this can be
> either done in the body of the html document by using a meta tag
> <b>&lt;META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
> charset=ISO-8859-1"&gt;</b> or by adding the specific header information.
> <b>Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1</b>)

I agree, but HTTP-EQUIV is not a good method. HTTP-EQUIV is intended a a hook
to be used by servers when determine the Content-Type header to return. A
browser reading the HTTP-EQUIV directive in the HTML source is doing the
wrong thing.

Basically, there needs to be a squid.conf directive to set the content-type
charset attribute of error pages, or error.c needs to be extended to parse
the HTTP-EQUIV directive.