Re: 2.5.PRE9 released

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:01:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Edward Millington wrote:

> So Henrik!
>
> Is PRE9 ready for users like me in the ISP world? I am using Pre8 right now
> but a little afraid of upgrading to PRE9 since 8 is working very good for
> me.

That is up to you to judge. Officially Squid-2.5 has not yet reached a
STABLE release and should mainly be run in testing and pre-production
evaluation, but if you are already running PRE8 and is happy with it I see
no reason why you should not be able to run PRE9 and be even happier..

The differences between PRE8 and PRE9 is

 - The addition of external_acl helpers (helpers/externa_acl)

 - cachemgr.cgi now installed with .cgi extension

 - squid now installed as ${prefix}/sbin/squid
   (was installed in bin)

 - "make install-pinger" available again, as according to the
   pinger installation instructions in the FAQ

 - Some spelling corrections

 - squidclient now has options for specifying username and password

 - MSNT auth has been updated to fix buffer overflows

 - several updates and bugfixes to the winbind helpers

 - external_acl_type documentation update

 - backwards compability aliases in squid.conf enabled (not documented
outside cf.data.pre)

 - delay_access works again with proxy_auth ACL types.. yet unknown if
   it works proper with ntlm authentication however.

 - The fallback error directory can be specified at build time by defining
   DEFAULT_SQUID_ERROR_DIR

 - bugfix in external_acl_type when using references to headers.

 - HTML cleanup in gopher:// replies. The main visible effect is the
   addition of a Squid signature as in ftp:// replies.

As I said previously PRE9 was in my opinion a STABLE release candidate,
but there has already been a bit of cleanups after PRE9..

   - debug sections cleanup, and re-addition of doc/debug-sections.txt

   - added some missing WebDAV HTTP methods Methods (BCOPY, SUBSCRIBE,
UNSUBSCRIBE, and POLL)

And when I think about it perhaps we should include the HTML cleanups of
error pages and cachemgr.cgi output as well.. (not yet done).

The option to include a suitable mail text in the error pages mailto link
will have to wait for Squid-2.6.