Re: Question

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:56:28 +1000

Jerry Murdock wrote:

> [...]

Also - just ditch pam_smb_auth. That pam module has 'bad idea' written
all over it, and has serious, known issues. Implmenting an SMB client
in a PAM module just is not a good idea - and becouse it does not use
full RPC Netlogon, it is inherintly vunerable to spoffing.

As far as I know, the 'smb_auth' program and pam_smb are both based off
the same (old) sources, and are both as inseure as each other.

The use of pam_winbind or the winbind basic authenticaion helper is much
more likaly to gain you a functional system, and more particulary a
secure system - as the PDC's credentials are checked.

You could also consider the winbind NTLM authenticaion helper.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet@samba.org