Re: polygraph webaxe and HEAD

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:22:58 -0600 (MDT)

On 12 Aug 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> How does polygraph detect a hit? A magic cookie in the content?

A magic response header that depends on a magic request header. A
robust request signature, sort of. Polygraph transaction knows when
the response received was generated based on some other request.

> If squid is checking that *all* the request headers are the same,
> and joining the requests, then this seems ok to me from a RFC pov
> (the content is still not stored). Does polygraph consider that OK?

No, it does not. And I do not think is is RFC-OK to merge such
requests. Identical headers do not imply cachability. Merging is,
essentially, caching because caching is reusing response to another
request.

www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite