Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: [Mod_gzip] Vary: header and mod_gzip

From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:32:08 +0100

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:09:56PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> I would suggest:
>
> Alternative 1: (default)
>
> "Vary: Accept-Encoding" if the reply is such that it might be compressed.
>
> "Vary: Accept-Encoding, User-Agent" if you also want to use the User-Agent
> header to determine if compression might be applied. (optional, default to
> uncompressed if not enabled and no Accept-Encoding)

If I remember correctly, mod_gzip doesn't currently browser-sniff
to determine any broken browsers making requests, so it should probably
only emit the 'Vary: Accept-Encoding' header.

That leaves the sniffer (Apache + mod_headers?) to insert a 'User-Agent'
into the Vary header if it performs such negotiation later in the
request lifecycle.

NetCache also honours the Vary header - most modern proxies do.

Anil