Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: [Mod_gzip] Vary: header and mod_gzip

From: <Michael.Schroepl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:35:16 +0200

Hi Hendyk,

> b) Bash the browser vendor in the head with a cluebat.
> They SHOULD accept what they advertise.

I wish this would solve any problem. :-(

> c) Have a browser blacklist listing known buggy browsers,

This is what
     http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/browser.htm
is trying to become one day ...

> and don't respond with compressed content to those if you
> for any reason suspect there might be a HTTP/1.0 proxy in
> the request chain.

This is what "mod_gzip_item_exclude reqheader" is for.

> d) Have a FAQ entry that users of such broken browsers
> must disable the use of HTTP/1.1 in their browser preferences.

Netscape 4.x is
- using HTTP/1.0 _and_
- sending "Accept:encoding: gzip"
- _and_ lying about its abilities.
Great combination, eh? ;-)

On the other hand, disabling HTTP/1.1 is the _cause_
of the problem (with M$IE), _not_ the solution.

Greetings, Michael