Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: [Mod_gzip] Vary: header and mod_gzip

From: <Michael.Schroepl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:23:55 +0200

Hi Robert,

>> > Ermm, I just tested this with IE 6.0. It accepted a gzipped
>> > Content-Encoding from my squid cache (with a HTTP/1.0 reply)
>> > quite happily. NB: BOTH Use HTTP/1.1 and Use HTTP/1.1 thru
>> > proxy's where turned on.
>> now turn the "through proxy" off, and you will see what
>> happens ...
> It doesn't request compressed content, and doesn't recieve it.
> Again, no problem.

who is checking that?

If the content is already stored in the proxy cache, this
currently (Squid 2.4-) means that no "Vary:" header has been
sent by the HTTP server.
Does Squid 2.4 bother about the missing "Accept-Encoding"
header? Or does Squid simply rely on the server which didn't
send a "Vary:" header, so Squid thinks it can safely serve
the cache content, and booom goes the browser?

Greetings, Michael