Re: Samba 3.0a19 breaks winbind helpers?

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 17:12:32 +1000

Jerry Murdock wrote:

> [...]

The winbind pipe is an internal Samba interface. It's structure should
be considered 'undefined'. Unfortunately projects like squid (which my
encouragement, I might add!) have started to use it as an external
interface - it does provide very convenient access to this kind on info,
I must admit.

So, where do we go from here? For anything that looks at all like unix,
the published unix interfaces are the way to go - we implement nsswitch
and PAM in particular. For NTLMSSP, I've poposed one earlier in this
thread. For the other interfaces, somebody (not me!) needs to define an
interface, and propose it to samba-technical.

For reasons of portability/flexability, the current mood is for
executable helpers that pass simple text structures around, not shared
libraries that need maintenance.

BTW, where the issue is groups of NTLMSSP, I'm quite willing to have the
ntlm_auth helper spit out the user's groups at login time - we get the
info, so it's not that much work to pass it on.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet@samba.org