Re: HEAD and max-age=0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:15:11 +0200

The comment is most likely drawn from the fact that there is no
mentioning of HEAD in 10.3.5 304 "Not modified", only GET, and the
restrictions set in section 10.

Seems to read the same in RFC2616.

But on the other hand I don't see anything that says that we MUST NOT
send 304 in response to a HEAD, so my interpretation is that clients
should not expect servers to support conditional HEAD requests, but
if the server wishes to it MAY. This conclusion is from the
extensibility of the protocol and from the fact that HEAD in all
other aspects is defined to be identical to GET except that no reply
entity body is returned in the response.

Should perhaps add that this is also the interpretation done by the
Apache group, and most other server vendors (MS IIS included, even if
they often get HEAD very wrong and returns a reply entity body..).