Re: store MD5 keys

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 07:34:55 -0500

Robert Collins wrote:
> I just want to run something past the list:
>
> Currently store MD5 keys include the request method in the MD5
> calculation.
>
> I think this is wrong. We end up having to build a fall-back list of
> what methods produce replies we can cache, AND having to iterate through
> all possible methods to fully flush a URL's reference.
> We will need the method available for client side processing, and a list
> of the all the variants of the object... but an extension of the under
> development ETag logic to track the method as well as the MD5 should
> handle that.
>
> Thoughts?

My only thought is that I was baffled that the key included the method,
when I was writing an external database to keep up with cached objects.
  It seemed unnecessary, but I assumed someone smarter than me had
thought it through thoroughly and had a good reason for it--so I wasn't
going to say anything. ;-)

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.