Re: Filedescriptors

From: Francesco Chemolli <kinkie-ml@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Sep 2002 13:27:57 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> writes:

> Francesco Chemolli wrote:
> > I think it would be useful to add a configure option to force squid
> > provide for a defineable number of file descriptors, regardless of what
> > the build-time environment says. It should be a trivial patch.
> >
> > If nobody objects or gives a reason why it shouldn't be done, I'll take
> > a stab at the issue code-wise.
>
> You are welcome..
>
> Remember that this should only have effect on the "Maximum number of
> filedescriptors we can open" probe used to figure out the number really
> supported, not the detection of FD_SETSIZE etc..

Of course.

> One quick way to do this is to simply make the test cacheable by
> converting it to a AC_CECHE_CHECK call. Then all that is needed to do to
> override the test is to set the ac_XXX environment variable when running
> configure.. no need for a new configure option.

I'd rather add a configure option. The problem is not the fact of being
able to do it, but rather that it's not evident enough. I've gone through
my fair share of scratch/reconfigure/recompile cycles only because I had
forgotten to ulimit beforehand.
Run-time checks should remain as-is IMO.

--
	kinkie (kinkie-ml [at] libero [dot] it)
	Random fortune, unrelated to the message: