Re: C++

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Sep 2002 20:06:12 +1000

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 13:50, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I second Henrik's conclusion on this issue. A C/C++ mix is
> likely to introduce more problems than it will solve. Moreover, if the
> consensus is that C++ is better than C, one could polish all existing
> code to compile as C++; not a major effort, IMO. OO-rewrite can then
> proceed in stages.

Thats exactly what I'd like to do. The first step is to get the source
headers usable in C++ (1), then a .c->.cc migration (2), and finally to
start refactoring (3).

I would like us to do (1) as soon as possible. It's a smallish patch
I've got here.
(2) I'd like us to do one .c file at a time, when someone has time. If
no-one else has time, I'd be quite happy doing one file a day.

Then (3) can be accomplished as part of code reviews/tidyups and as a
precursor to feature adding.

Rob