Re: A _fde Struct change proposal

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:04:13 -0600

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> > Now I'm trying a possible implementation of FD_CLOSE_METHOD on nt branch,
> > but at this time I'm still evaluating the benefits, if any.
>
> I think what Adrian is saying is that rather than use FD_CLOSE_METHOD,
> all close() calls should be removed and replaced with
> comm_close()/file_close(). Then there is only one close() call that
> needs replacing for the NT port.

There's two views:

* extra verification is good - you should know what "type" the FD is
  beforehand
* why should I care if my helper is talking over tcp/ip or a local pipe?
  close() should close()!

Its annoying, but its one of the things I'm planning on tidying up with
the comm code - nothing outside of comm*/disk* should _ever_ call
a direct fd call (read, write, recvfrom, sendto, pipe..)

Adrian