Re: icp bitrot?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:54:17 +0200

Duane Wessels wrote:

> > Actually, I'm creating async storeGetPublic* functions. This requires
> > breaking every synchronous function that use storeGetPublic up into a
> > start and completion routine. ICP uses storeGetPublic...
>
> What will this do to ICP performance?

Probably not very nice things, but it should depend a lot on the type of
store index used. The reason for the change has been discussed many
times, and is to allow for on-disk cache indexes. When using a on-disk
cache index we do not really have a choice but to have all
storeGetPublic() calls async in nature..

The response time should only increase marginally when using a in-core
store index like today. We are then looking at a non-linear code flow
with a callback in the middle rather than a standard call/return
function call, but the same basic operations taking place in the same
order with no interruptions (I suppose.. don't know exacly how Robert is
implementing this).