Re: C++ (again) / Squid 3

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:56:37 +0200 (CEST)

On 9 Oct 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> Ah - you are suggesting a 3.0 branch. I'm against this. Every time I've
> seen a -major- change done outside of HEAD on a project, it suffers
> badly. I'd like to see HEAD become C++, as a single series of commits.
> Theres no need for a branch for that. (the rbcollins_cxxtest on sf could
> be such a branch, although I've been using it to test the differences
> that C++ allows us to make, as opposed to a straight syntax conversion.)

Yes, I am suggesting a fork. Squid-2 for continued management of the
current C codebase, and HEAD for C++ transition with the goal of a Squid-3
release.

> All our normal users. If we are happy that it is as good as 2.5S1 or
> better, then we can release it.

I am not too happy about making a STABLE release that does not add any
significant functionality and that know we will immediately refactor large
parts of the internals.