Re: C++ (again) / Squid 3

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 01:45:02 -0600

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
> Robert Collins <robertc@squid-cache.org> writes:
>
> > Right, I think it's time for a straw poll...
> >
> > IIRC we essentially agreed that squid 3 will be C++.
> >
> > Who here wants to rewrite squid from scratch in C++ for V3?
> >
> > Who wants to migrate squid in-place to C++ for V3?
>
> I support this idea. Starting from scratch would require having a long
> period without a working "product". Since the current overall structure is
> not hopeless as far as i can see, I see no need to start off from scratch.

Just for the record, and its recent:

As long as we don't go silly on the C++ syntax, i think we should.
I've been looking at Roberts' C++ refactoring work and I actually
like it.

(God, I never thought I'd say I like C++ work.)

My main aims are to fix the comm and store layers. I'd hate to see all
this work happen and then have a sucky comm/store layer holding us back.
Roberts recent work in his cxx branch is going quite well and the async
store lookup code is a good start on fixing some of the problems
I've come across.. I'm just cautious. :)

Adrian