Re: C++ already work. Re: C++ (again) / Squid 3

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 18:53:41 +1000

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 17:59, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:
> Hi,
> C++ version already work,
> http://www.laser.ru/evgen/soft/Squid2/index_l.html
> Also only for OS/2, but there is relatively small os-specific code
> exept fact that there are no forks and file handles and sockets are
> different entyties.
>
> The single thing that I asked was DO NOT USE C++ KEYWORDS IN YOUR CODE
> !!!!

When did you ask this? I don't recall you asking it... and there are
several files with c+ keywords in use (only a couple of which are
recent).

> What is the fucking code in latest client_side_reply.c by hno and
> robertc

No need to swear. It makes it harder to reply in an unbiased fashion.

> * $Id: client_side_reply.c,v 1.13 2002/10/03 09:47:58 hno Exp $

Yep, this is a C source file. Its allowed to use C++ keywords, and
'this' accurately represented the behaviour intended. In C++ that would
become a method on the object, and 'this' would still be valid.

> Why talk nonsense and do nothing ?

What nonsense?

> Make your base compiler C++ and/or rename all *.c to *.cpp and you
> will have 99% C++ code. Rename all those fucking variables with C++
> keywords names and you will have 0.4% more. Put all non-obligation in
> C type conwersions and you will have 0.59% more

Yes. There is still many non C++ safe things though. We iterate through
enums without defining a ++ operator. We typecast from void * to structs
all over the place.

Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is in this email - are you saying
that you will be happy if squid goes clean C++ across the board?

Rob