Re: NO 64 bit signed type available

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:59:53 +0200

On Friday 18 October 2002 01.10, Robert Collins wrote:

> > Hmm... and what about a lot of old ancient compilers used on a
> > number of ancient unix platforms ?
>
> Well, this is a harder question. Can we meaningfully support such
> platforms? We're pushing at the limits of select and poll already.
> Perhaps someone can write a int64_t type library for such
> platforms?

Well.. do we really need to use explicit bit size integers outside
things like NTLM other than to limit the size (i.e 8/16 bits types).

For anything dealing with file/data sizes size_t is a good choice, and
will be 64 bits on platforms where it is meaningful..

Anyway, if we find that we need 64 bit types and it turns out there is
users who can't support them then adding a 64 bit integer emulation
library is no big deal.