Re: Build error on HEAD

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 17 Nov 2002 19:04:25 +1100

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 19:49, Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> Il 09.44 17/11/2002 Henrik Nordstrom ha scritto:
> >Ah, not I get you. You are having problem with the Squid-2 tree, not
> >HEAD. The current HEAD is Squid-3.
>
> So You are saying the 2.6 branch is DEAD ?

Not DEAD, just... deprecated.

> >Note: The Squid-2 tree is not very actively maintained at the moment
> >and mostly sees bugfixes from Squid-2.5. It is recommended
> >development is moved to Squid-3 where possible.
>
> Sorry, but currently I'm not planning anything for squid-3, because I don't
> have any knowledge or programming experience on C++.

At this point, it's very much still C based code. Where there is a lot
that we can do with C++, for port maintenance you will only need the
following knowledge:

class foo is approximately struct foo

FooSomething (Foo *, blah *, blah *) becomes
Foo::something (blah *, blah *)
and is called:

class Foo;
Foo->something (bar, meta);

And secondly, enums and structs can be nested, to give tighter scope:

struct Foo {
  struct Bar {
    enum AnEnum {FOO, BAR};
  };
};

gives the following enums:
Foo::Bar::FOO
and
Foo::Bar::BAR

within a method (a function declared within a struct) of Foo, these
would be seen as
Bar::FOO and Bar::BAR.
Within a method of Bar, they become
FOO and BAR.

Clear as mud?

Serious, have a look at the squid-3 sources before you decide you cannot
work with them.

Rob