Re: Build error on HEAD

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:23:29 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Guido Serassio wrote:

> OK, but please, someone can explain this to me ? What is VPATH ?

VPATH is a mechanism whereby make knows to look in multiple directories
when looking for the source files. Similar to PATH when looking for
binaries to execute, but applies when make looks for "filename" when
resolving dependencies.

This for example easily allows for the same Makefile to be used both when
building in the same directory as the sources and when building in a
object directory separate from the sources. In all makefile rules we just
use the filename, and make figures out if this is a original source file
from the source directory or if it is a derived file in the object
directory.