epoll on squid

From: David Nicklay <dnicklay@dont-contact.us>
Date: 03 Dec 2002 18:09:50 -0500

Here is a patch for squid-3.0-devel which has epoll working in it. I
tested it in a quick test on my own desktop and it seemed to compare
favorably with poll(). Some test numbers are forthcoming once I can get
time to put some together.

There is one very annoying bug in this one. It seems I was encountering
some sort of memory alignment problem. I was able to work around it by
adding a bunch of debug statements into the code, which shouldn't have
worked but did. I tested it extensively, but I will be darned if I can
find it. Perhaps someone else will have better luck tracking it down.
It doesn't seem to be affecting the performance as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, this was compiled on a stock Redhat 7.2 (gcc 2.96) system,
running kernel 2.5.49 + the attached kernel diff. I used
squid-3.0-DEVEL-20021126 as my code base.

--
David Nicklay
Location: CNN Center - SE0811A