Re: Fw: [Full-Disclosure] bufferoverflow in client shipped with squid-2.5.STABLE1.tar.gz (latest) and below

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Jan 2003 17:21:46 +0100

It was sent to squid-bugs.

This is a user-level buffer overflow due to user supplied arguments in a
program intended to be used interactively for debugging/analysis
purposes only (squidclient) or controlled administative actions from
cron jobs such as automated collection of cachemgr information.

My classification of the bug:
  Security risk: none/very low
  Bug class: trivial/cosmetic

The buffer overflow is not present in Squid as such, only in the
squidclient administration/debug program.

Duane fixed the problem in the current CVS sources shortly after the
notive was received to make sure it does not annoy anyone else. The fix
is in the Squid-2.5 and Squid-2 CVS trees and will be brought over to
Squid-3 in next synchronization.

To my knowledge there is no planned announcement except for maybe a
changelog entry, unless there is another third party announcement which
overstates the severity of this bug.