Re: Needing state in NTLMSSP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Jan 2003 23:27:00 +0100

tor 2003-01-16 klockan 21.02 skrev Robert Collins:
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 02:12, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>

> > Having the helpers sit idle only because they are blocked by a client
> > thinking about how to send the auth packet is a big waste, and very
> > easily ends up in a DoS condition where all helpers are made busy unless
> > the number of helpers is exessively large (in the range of thousands).
>
> We don't do this today, and I'd be very much against any change that put
> us back into that situation.

What situation? What we have today as it is not suitable for production
use unless Squid is modified to support having thousands of ntlm helper
children.. and I cannot say I like a design requiring the use of
thousands of children only because some external resource outside your
control (i.e. clients) may send you requests blocking all helpers..

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden