Re: Digest authentication for SQUID NT

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:18:06 +0100

Hi Henrik,

At 22.21 21/01/2003, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>tis 2003-01-21 klockan 21.19 skrev Guido Serassio:
>
> > Basically because I think that the current digest helper is not so useful
> > in the Windows environment, so the priority was gone in other code section.
> > I like in the future to analyze how to build a native Active Directory
> > based Digest helper, like the IIS digest support.
> > If You think that it can be useful, I will make the port of the current
> > helper.
>
>What is the reasoning behind "not so useful in the Windows environment"?

The Windows world is a GUI based world, so everything is textual is
"cryptic" for Windows users and for many administrators too ....
I receive a lot of help request asking for "where is the button for ?",
"How I can edit squid.conf file ?", etc

So I think that helpers based on text files, like NCSA or simple Digest,
are not useful on Windows because:

- Too "Hard" (!!!) to configure for administrators
- Users can't easy manage they passwords
- Prompt for Username/password

And to confirm this, I have received reports only on use of NTLM (many) and
LDAP (1 !!!) helpers.

Regards

Guido

>--
>Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
>MARA Systems AB, Sweden

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
E-mail: guido.serassio@serassio.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it