Squid-2.6 killed

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 17:06:43 +0100

The Squid-2.6 tree have now been removed from the squid-cache.org site,
and a large stop sign have been added to Squid-2 HEAD configure to
emphasis the fact that Squid-2.6 is no longer developed:

     !!!!! WARNING !!!!!

     This development version of Squid is no longer maintained
     as the development have moved on to the squid3 tree

     These sources are known to contain many bugs and is
     quite unstable, generally not suitable for any use other than as a
     temporary while porting developments from Squid-2 to Squid-3

     Proceed at your own risk.

This because development have switched to Squid-3 and therefore Squid-2
HEAD is not receiving any attention and is even missing several of the
Squid-2.5 patches, not to speak of the countless patches to the
development code which have gone into Squid-3.

At this time I see no reason for a Squid-2.6 release, but if there ever
is a Squid-2.6 release it is likely to start over from Squid-2.5 and
then merge in the relevant changes from the current Squid-2 HEAD (and
maybe some from Squid-3 HEAD).

The Squid-2 HEAD tree will continue to be monitored for changes/patches
to be merged into Squid-3 for some time, but I prefer if the changes are
made directly in the squid-3 tree if possible.