Re: nt branch KILLED

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Feb 2003 00:16:58 +1100

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 23:42, Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the latest astyle changes to HEAD, when I run cvsmerge, I have got
> more the 300 conflicts in nt branch !!!

Ouch. Been there myself - I have a number of branches to clean up, and
they will all go through a similar thing.

> I think that this type of code "clean" should be made with more respects
> for the works of other developers, I can't spend my time fixing cosmetic
> HEAD code changes.

Well, you had 2 weeks notice, and the guidelines where in place for a
long time - 6 months IIRC. We can't force everyone to stop developing
and get everything merged before we do things. You had plenty of time to
say "hey, please don't do this, I think it'll cause me problems".

> If the Squid community wants to support Windows, the nt branch must be
> merged now, or please, say "we don't like to support Windows", but please,
> respect my time.

I certainly do respect your time. I'm a volunteer - just like you.

Astyle is a one-time, won't happen again policy implementation. It was
proposed when the C++ branch was created, and the guidelines where put
up for review. It had to be done before 3.0 was released, to allow for
any sort of sane management of the 3.0 and 3.1 branches.

It's got nothing (IMO) to do with when the NT port is merged. Any large
branch (i.e rproxy) needs maintenance to track head.

I can say this: the nt branch won't be merged as a single block. It's
too big, and it's had what - three? - authors which means that there are
lots of little gotcha's. We need to find those, and the process of
merging single bits of functionality does exactly that.

I've (AFAIK) merged in all the individual changes you've split off and
posted here, with a couple that were evaluated as being unneeded - some
of those little gotchas.

Having said that: keep splitting parts of the NT branch out, and I'll
keep merging them.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.