Re: Re : Re: about https

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:08:45 +0100

The request to Squid is

CONNECT www.hotmail.com:443 HTTP/1.0

Squid has no way of knowing what the actual requested URL or protocol
is for these requests. All it knows is that the browser wants a TCP
tunnel to port 443 on host www.hotmail.com. Because of this the
protocol is NONE and the method is CONNECT.

If Squid is running as an accelerator for an SSL site then the
situation is very different, as Squid will then receive the SSL
connection, decrypt it, and then process the https:// request within
it. In such case the protocol will be HTTPS and the method whatever
method the browser wants to do to the site (via the accelerator). But
this is only possible in accelerator setups, not proxy setups (not
even transparent ones..)